Headline for Featured Item #1
Texas A&M University Corpus Christi - Discover Your Island

Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership

Educational Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction

Become a leader in education.educational leadership edd program

The Doctor of Education Degree in Educational Leadership serves educational leaders or aspiring leaders in schools, community colleges, universities and other education related agencies. The curriculum is designed to maximize career opportunities and serve busy professionals. Our courses are offered during evenings, weekends, and online.

Choose from three tracks:

This cognate prepares principals, superintendents, and other school leaders. The preparatory courses for the principal and superintendent certificates also count toward the degree plan, allowing students to maximize the benefits of their coursework.

PreK-16 degree plan

Higher Education
Maximize your career mobility as a higher education leader. This program was developed by university and community college leaders to maximize the quality of learning and career potential.

Higher education degree plan (higher education cognate)

Higher Education
Individualize your degree program by specializing in a subject area of your interest, such as curriculum and instruction, kinesiology, or educational technology, or other areas of educational leadership interest.

Higher education degree plan (specialized cognate)

How to apply (pdf)

Curriculum and Cognates (Specializations)
There are four curricular themes: leadership theory and practice, curriculum and instruction, political and social foundations of education, and research. The doctoral degree contains elements of research and theory typical of all doctoral programs, but it is also practitioner-oriented.

Students can individualize this program by specializing in a subject area of their interest. Take from 18 to 21 credit hours within your cognate area of specialization. The College of Education offers specializations including:

  • Educational Technology
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Bilingual Education
  • Reading
  • Curriculum and Instruction
  • Educational Administration
  • Superintendency
  • Counselor Education
  • Community College and University Leadership
Frequently asked questions:

Q. I applied for non-degree admission but I am not able to register for classes. What could be the problem?
A. You must be entered in the system in order for you to register for doctoral courses. If you have turned in your application to Graduate Studies, check with them first. They should be able to tell you what the status of your application is.

Q. I am admitted to the doctoral program but still cannot register. What could be the problem?
A. If you are admitted to the program but still cannot register, it could be that the course is full. If you need this class, call the instructor for permission.

Q. What if I need to take more classes than the system will allow?
A. If you want to take more classes than the system will allow, you can get a course overload form from Donna DeGaish. The maximum hours for the Fall and Spring is 18 and 9 in the combined summer sessions.

Q. What do I do if faced with an emergency that preludes continual enrollment?
A. Contact the department chair, Dr. Dan Pearce.

Q. What do I do if I try to register for a class that requires permission?
A. Contact Donna DeGaish at (361) 825-3368.

Q. Who fills out the degree plan?
A. You may work with any department faculty member to fill out your degree plan.